Low Voltage License Hawaii


In Hawaii, low voltage installation and repair work is regulated by the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA), specifically by the Hawaii Electrical Examining Board (EEB). To work in this field, a Low Voltage Systems (LVS) contractor license is required. This license is required for anyone who installs, maintains, alters, or repairs any low voltage systems, including access control, fire alarms, video surveillance, security systems, and structured cabling.

The requirements for obtaining a LVS contractor license in Hawaii include:

  • Being at least 18 years of age
  • Having a minimum of four years of experience in the low voltage field
  • Passing a written exam that covers the National Electrical Code (NEC), the Hawaii Electrical Code, and the Hawaii Administrative Rules related to low voltage systems.

To get started on the licensing process, you can visit the DCCA’s website and find the “Licensing” section. In the “Contractor” category you will find the LVS contractor application. The website also provides information on the LVS contractor exam, including the exam schedule, application, and the study materials. The DCCA also maintains a list of approved continuing education courses for licensed contractors.

It’s important to note that holding a LVS contractor license does not authorize the holder to perform electrical work, which is regulated by the Hawaii Electrical Examining Board (EEB). Additionally, it’s important to follow the Hawaii Electrical Code, the NEC and Hawaii Administrative rules which are subject to updates and changes.

In summary, obtaining a Low Voltage Systems (LVS) contractor license is mandatory for anyone who wants to install, maintain, alter or repair any low voltage systems in the state of Hawaii. The DCCA requires four years of experience, passing an exam, and being at least 18 years old. License holder must follow the NEC, Hawaii Electrical Code and Hawaii Administrative Rules, and also keep their licenses current by completing continuing education courses.

Links for more information:

It’s advisable to check the DCCA website regularly for updates and new laws and regulations.